Dept. of Jainology and Comparative Religion & Philosophy
Jainism is one of the ancient religion of shramana tradition. Above than religion and philosophy it is more a way of living. It aims at imparting higher education in this little explored treasure of knowledge and conducting research in different Oriental Sciences hidden in Jain Agams. Lord Mahavir said 2600 years ago 'Naanassa Saaramaayaaro' 'Right Conduct is the essence of knowledge'. This spiritual voice is the motto of the Institute. Every program and every activity is directed towards the realization of this motto.
Jain scriptures are the treasure of vast knowledge. They postulate multifaceted aspects of learning such as ontology, metaphysics, ethics, logic, philosophy, ecology, biology, heath, politics, social life, education, management, etc.
The mission is to integrate modern science with ancient wisdom of the great spiritual practitioners and visionary seers like Lord Mahaveer, Buddha, etc. This department seeks to intervene moral and spiritual norms and values with the materialistic and economic fibers of mankind to foster and develop universal human relationship for the peaceful co-existence of the individuals, groups, communities, sects, races, religions and nations.
- Spreading the universal principles of ahimsa, anekant an aparigraha at the global level
- Developing the virtue of reverence towards all living being
- Defining the role of human being towards nature
- Understanding the formula of world peace
- Developing the sense of making better world for the future progenies
- Understanding the interdependent existence of all forms of life
- To produce efficient Jain scholars
The courses of Jainology and Compartive Regilgion & Philosophy has been introduced to understand the unique principles of Jainism and their relevance to modern era. It also aims to provide to provide the stydy of Jain philosophy with other Indian and Western Philosophy.
Courses offered by the department:
a. Ph.D. and D.Litt.
b. M. Phil. in Jainology
c. M.A. in Jainology
d. M.A. in Philosophy
e. Certificate Course
Jainism has one of the richest heritages of learning and culture, with a tradition of tolerance, catholicity and synthesis. A Two year Master's degree programme in this subject includes metaphysics, ethics, yoga, epistemology, history of Jainism and Jain literature, Jain culture & art along with the comparative studies of Indian and western religions and philosophies. This institution is dedicated to the comparative study of classical learning, specially the study and research in Jain Religion and Philosophy. The main purpose of this four semester post-graduate course is to make the scholar of the Jain Religion and philosophy. The courses of Jainology are being provided for both resident and non-resident students through correspondence course, the later is offered to even Monks and Nuns of all sects, and students of different age groups and/or different professions.
The research is focused on oriental learnings particularly in Jainology and allied subjects in the areas of Anekant, Agams (canonical literature), Ecology, Ethics, Mathematics, Non-violence, Peace Movements, World Peace, Environmental Ethics, Comparative Religion and Philosophy, etc. .
Achievements in a nut-shell:
a. Ph.D. – 72
b. Ph.D. in progress – 44
2. Dissertation Submitted at M. Phil and M. A. level – 15
a. Books – 15
b. Books in progress – 5
c. Research/other papers – 200
4. Organized Seminars, conferences & Workshops – 12
5. Organized Refresher Course-03
6. Organized Training programmes on Sanskrit Study – 01
7. Organized Training programmes on Jain Study (Youth camp) – 01
8. Papers presented by the faculty members in Seminars & Conferences – 250
9. Students of the department qualified in NET/JRF– 40
10. Departmental Seminars – 40